Rigger's/Instructor's Belt for Concealed Carry


I have had my concealed carry for about a two years.  Tried to carry on my body about once or twice, but found it too much to worry/think about especially with a toddler around.  A year later a guy tried to run me off the road multiple times and was tailgating me on the interstate.  Felt unsafe even at home.  With that, shootings near work, and feel an obligation to carry in [undisclosed location], I decided to revisit carry on my body.  I also had repurchased a Taurus G2S, deeming a .380 just not enough.

FYI, if you've never done concealed carry full-time, be prepared to buy a lot of holsters.  I've got two for my. 380 and four for my 9mm.   I tried IWB and OWB on my pants belt.  I didn't trust any of those methods secure enough and felt they had more of an ability to be exposed when bending over.   I wear a click belt because I can easily loosen, driving two hours plus a weekday.   I had seen rigger's belts, but thought them too expensive and too hard to adjust quickly.  I knew police used two belts. 

Picking up a holster at my local gun shop, I ran across a Uncle Mike's rigger's belt for $26 and grabbed it.  I find that I can use the rigger's belt in about any position under my shirt.  If I use it on my right side (right-handed), I can keep it just above the hips and let them push the holster in keeping the holder from sagging away from the body, even with a Fobus paddle holster.  With my slimmer OWB, I can wear it even higher and fit the 9mm under my armpit.  A little hard to draw, though.  I can turn the whole thing 180 degrees and wear it under the left arm for crossdraw.   With the rigger's belt, in addition to a pant's belt, I can tuck my shirt in with polo shirt and look like I’m going to the golf course.  Definitely more comfortable sitting and standing multiple times. 

The biggest downside is that to have the belt tight enough to stay in place it restricts your breathing just a little bit and there is the possibility that even if someone didn't see the gun/holster they might see the belt across your mid back/belly.  I found that even if I carry too high to make it easy to draw on my right side, I can exhale and let the holster drop down to make access easier.  I have big shoulders and have to wear a 2XL.  Someone smaller would not have as much carry space.
I'm testing this with the wife.  I don’t tell her when I carry, even though she knows I have the license and holsters.  I've managed to wear sweatpants and a t-shirt around the house and at dinner without her realizing it.

I've ordered a belt with a buckle and doesn't have Velcro. The sound of Velcro tearing anytime you want to adjust, take on/off might raise questions in a public bathroom setting. I wear the buckle on the opposite side of the holster, so that it is under the other armpit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mapping Akai MPK mini play pads for MPC Essentials

Cleaning Dishes in Prison