A Further Nail In the Coffin of Paper Media


In the past couple of years I started subscribing to the print (and digital) edition of the Wall Street Journal.  While traveling, I used to love buying the WSJ or The Economist in the airport.  Of the two reasons I switched hotels in the winter while staying in Waukegan, Illinois, was that the Courtyard Marriott had a jacuzzi…and you got a free WSJ.



When on a client site in Greensboro, NC I cheapened it up to put my expense money in my pocket, but a coworker with a subscription would bring be the paper for me while he only wanted the online version (Thanks again John).  But lately I've noticed that when eating in a restaurant lately that if you leave a newspaper on a table or at the tray/trash for someone else to read, it's going to be thrown in the trash quicker than you can say Business & Finance.  Fast food employees and people in general don't seem to have an appreciation for leaving a paper that has only been briefly looked at for other customers.  The only place that it seems that second-hand papers survive is in breakfast places with an older clientele à la Biscuitville.  The younger generation that only has ever read news on a smartphone can't appreciate a free $4 paper like a person who only owns a "stupid phone" as by father-in-law says.



Kind of painful to see that something I really appreciate and really debate spending my money on, is seen as dirty or has no value above.  I used to see ads for the Wall Street Journal on daytime TV in the 80's.  $37 a month.  I thought "man that is expensive."  Right now if you pay monthly it's $36/week.  How's that for inflation?



It's hard to value a well written and researched article when all you've known is a five sentence headline and paragraph with a click bait ad stuck in the middle, nor do you have the patience to read such an in-depth article to learn something that you may have not known that you wanted to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mapping Akai MPK mini play pads for MPC Essentials

1987 Ford Bronco or What Hadn't Rusted

Rigger's/Instructor's Belt for Concealed Carry