Ivermectin for Treating Dog Heart Worms

One reason I started this blog is to help me remember things and help others with how-to-do things so here's one:

Ever looked into getting Heartguard? It's about $35 for six months. But you have to go to the vet to have all the tests done which requires more money. Seeing as how my dog is a runaway. He was abandoned at my in-laws, probably by hunters cause he's an inbred, half beagle, half bird dog, so I paid nothing for him. I'm not about to start now except for vaccinations and neutering.

A buddy said his vet told him that if he was him he would just give the dog horse ivermectin instead of Heart Guard. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in HeartGuard. My buddy still went with the Heart Guard. He's also got a rejected hunting dog, a mountain cur. So I took the concentration information off the Heart Guard. I then proceeded to buy some horse ivermectin. I was going to go to the local hardware store where they carry it but some crazy lady who worked there told me it had killed her dog when he ate some accidentally and the vet had told her that it killed the dog because the dog had heartworms and the ivermectin killed all the heartworms at once, screwing up the heart. This is why the Heart Guard commercial says to have your dog treated for heart worms before starting Heart Guard.

At the time I had a dog with heartworms, he came from the shelter like that. The vet told me it would be $600 to cure him of heartworms. A less expensive mobile vet told me they could treat the dog with Heart Guard for a year or so and that it wouldn't kill the existing heart worms but it would keep any new ones from taking up residence. Thus ridding the dog of heartworms as the older ones died off.

So I did some reading on the internet and I saw both sides of the argument. Pro: horse ivermectin was cheaper and would not kill dogs with heart worms as long as the dog wasn't running a sled race right after taking the stuff. Con: It could kill a dog with heartworms.

Anyway, I got ivermectin pase at a western clothing store. They also carry horse stuff. I think it was around $10. I did all the calculations for dosage, being a chemist, and the smallest amount I could give, 1mL, which would still be ten times the HeartGuard dosage. I tried to give a tenth of a mL to the dogs, one that had heart worms and one that didn't. They both survived. Nothing happened. The next month I have them 1mL, ten times Heart Guard for their body weight. Just fine. So now I give the remaining do, the other ran away, 1mL of 1.87% horse ivermectin every month.

I took the dog to the vet because he was having leg trouble and when they asked if he was on heart worm prevention I said: "a mL of horse ivermectin." Both the vet and the assistant didn't bat an eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mapping Akai MPK mini play pads for MPC Essentials

1987 Ford Bronco or What Hadn't Rusted

Rigger's/Instructor's Belt for Concealed Carry